Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Salt Dough

Salt Dough! Nothing other than:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water

After mixing up the dough I rolled it out to a thickness I was happy with. These hearts were cut out by hand with a butter knife. Then further shaped by hand. I wanted a little of a wonky shaped heart with an uneven surface. Don't forget to make a hole for hanging.

Place in your oven on the lowest setting to speed up the drying process. Check them frequently, drying time will depend on thickness. I let them dry further a few more days on the counter.

Once they are dry they can be sanded. I sanded them nice and smooth with a medium grit sand paper then a fine grit.

Spray painted them with Rustoleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish.

Once the silver paint was dry, I rubbed on black paint with a damp paper towel making sure to get all the nooks.
Leather cording finishes them off.

Comparable to the likes of this one or this one, even this one. Just don't get it wet!
We also made a heart shaped pen holder/paper weight!

Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment