Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Map Coasters

The materials I used for this project were old coasters, Mod Podge, polyurethane sealant, foam brush, pencil, scissors and printed maps of the Disney World parks. If you don’t have any old coasters, I’ve seen others use tile.
DisneyWorldMapCoastersMaterials
Want to know how to make Disney World Map Coasters? Continue reading…it’s easy.

I first printed maps of Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I also printed a Disney World map. You could use the maps you get at the parks. You could also print your own maps from the Disney World site. I printed mine from wdwinfo.com.
I put the coaster on top of the map and positioned it to the part of the map I wanted on the coaster. I traced around the coaster using a pencil. I then cut out what I traced. I recommend cutting slightly smaller than what you traced. And, line up the cut out map on your coaster to see if you need to trim off any excess. I needed to do this.
DisneyWorldMapCoastersTraceCut
I then applied Mod Podge on the back of the cut out map and also on the top of the coaster.
I placed the paper onto the coaster carefully and smoothed it out. I waited 15 minutes for it to dry.
DisneyWorldMapCoastersModPodge
I applied a thin coat of Mod Podge on the top of the paper and waited 15 minutes for it to dry. I then put another coat of Mod Podge.
DisneyWorldMapCoastersDrying
I also applied three (3) coats of polyurethane sealant to make it more waterproof. I recommend this. I read somewhere Mod Podge alone isn’t enough to seal your coaster especially from wet glasses. Also Note: If you do not use a polyurethane sealant, then do NOT put anything hot on the coasters for a month. Mod Podge takes about one month to fully cure. If you do use a polyurethane sealant, then you could wait 1-7 days as directed on the sealant.
DisneyWorldMapCoastersAll
Take another look at the Disney World Map Coasters. Aren’t they fun?! Have you made any fun coasters?

No comments:

Post a Comment